If you have young kids in your family you know how magical this time of year can be. Children love to help decorate the tree (the house, the walls, the floor…) and making salt dough ornaments is great activity for young children. They can help you make the dough, roll it out, cut out the shapes, and then give each ornament their personal touch with their unique artwork!
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups of all purpose bleached flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 3/4 cups of water (add a little more water if your dough is dry and not sticking together.)
And here’s how to make them:
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Knead it until it’s nice and doughy (toddlers love this part!).
- Use cookie cutters or anything else you have on hand to make whatever shape ornaments you want.
- Use a straw or toothpick to poke a hole in the top so you can hang them with a string or hook.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees. Turn over once at the 10 minute mark.
- Let them cool and then decorate however you choose!