This time of year, I hear a lot of “It’s too hot to go outside! How do I keep my kids entertained?” Crafts are a great way to occupy little hands, keep minds busy and best of all – stay inside. I have found a really cute idea that utilizes some supplies I’ll bet you have in your kitchen right now!
The ingredients you’ll need for this project are:
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of salt
- warm water
- paint to decorate the beads after they’re dry
- string or cord
1. In a medium or large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch and salt.
2. Add the warm water a little bit at a time, until it forms a sticky dough. It should feel similar to clay.
3. Roll the dough into small balls, any size you’d like for your beads to be.
4. Using a pencil, skewer or similarly sized object, poke holes all the way through the balls. Be sure that your string or cord will pass through the holes!
5. Place beads on a cookie sheet or tray, cover and allow them to dry in the sun. This may take a few days; you’ll know they’re ready to string once they’re hard.
6. If desired, paint beads with a non-toxic paint. Watercolors are not recommended, try an acrylic based paint for best results.
7. When paint is dry, it’s time to bead! Cut a length of string, yarn or cord to the desired length, and allow children to design their own creations.
8. Be sure to wear your new jewelry proudly, because kids feel tremendous when mom chooses their handmade treasures to wear.