- Friday, Saturday & Sunday: The Adventures of Pinocchio
Arkansas Festival Ballet presents this storybook ballet at the Arkansas Arts Center Children’s Theatre on Friday at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7:30 pm., and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $15-$25. For more information, call Arkansas Festival Ballet at (501) 227-5320. Purchase tickets here.
- Friday, Saturday & Sunday: 29th Annual International Greek Food Festival
The International Greek Food Festival at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church is the largest ethnic festival in Arkansas, with lots of food, entertainment and kids’ activities. Event is free but food must be purchased. For more information, call (501) 221-5300.
- Saturday: Screening of “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules” & Meet-and-Greet at Little Rock Zoo
Join the Little Rock Film Festival for a screening of “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules” at the Arkansas Repertory Theater at 10 a.m. Stars of the film Zachary Gordon and Robert Capron, and producer Brad Simpson will host Q & A after the film. Individual tickets are $10. Purchase them here. At 2 p.m., head to the Little Rock Zoo for a meet-and-greet with the stars. Regular zoo admission applies for non-film fest pass holders. For details about these events, click here.
- Saturday: Archery on The Lawn
Held every third Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. at the Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center, participants can test their archery skills by shooting compound bows at square targets. No experience necessary, but participants must be at least 10 years old to pull the string back. For more information, call (501) 907-0636.
- Saturday: KidSource Therapy 5K
KidSource Therapy is hosting its first-ever 5K fun run/walk at 8 a.m. to raise money for playground equipment for kids with special needs. This event is family and pet friendly. There will even be a pet costume contest. The event is being held at Hurricane Lake Estates (6015 Worth Ave., Benton). Call (501) 304-3369.
- Sunday: Little Rock Film Festival Family Fun Day
This free event features family film screenings, zoo animals, games and activities. Event is at 2 p.m. at the Darragh Center at the Main Library downtown. Details here.
Saturday: Screening of “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Rodrick Rules”
The LRFF2013 will screen “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Rodrick Rules” at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 18 at Arkansas Repertory Theater. Actors Zachary Gordon, who plays Greg Heffley, and Robert Capron , who plays Rowley Jefferson, and producer Brad Simpson will host a Q&A after the screening.
“Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Rodrick Rules” is based on the best-selling follow-up novel by Jeff Kinney about Greg, who’s entering seventh grade, and his older brother – and chief tormentor – Rodrick. They must deal with their parents’ misguided attempts to get them to bond.
Individual tickets for non-pass holders are $10. Buy them here.
At 2 p.m., the Little Rock Zoo will host an autograph and meet-and-greet with the stars. Zoo admission is $10 for adults and $8 for children (age 1-12).
Sunday: Free Family Fun Day
The Little Rock Film Festival’s Free Family Fun Day is Sunday May 19 at 2 p.m. at the Darragh Center Auditorium at the Main Library downtown. The event features family-friendly films throughout the day, as well as games, activities, balloons, face painting and a visit from Little Rock Zoo animals. Sponsored by the LRFF, Little Rock Zoo, Le Pops and Central Arkansas Library System.
- April 5-7: Fish Fashion Weekend, Hot Springs. Learn about the fish that live in Lake Catherine and how they are adapted for their environment. Join park staff for cane pole fishing around the marina and get an up-close look at what’s lurking under the water. Free. Details here.
- April 6: Nano Days at Mid-America Science Museum, Hot Springs. Explore the miniscule world of atoms, molecules and nanoscale forces at the museum’s hands-on activity stations. Free with a paid admission to the museum. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Details here.
- April 6: Boosters and Big Rigs. This Junior League of Little Rock event features free immunizations; health, dental and vision screenings; free instructions about car seat by Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians; and, lots of hands-on fun for kids with Big Rigs like ambulances, fire trucks, tractors and more. Jack Stephens Center at UALR, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free. Details here.
- April 6: Breakfast with Rhinos. Join the Little Rock Zoo at 8 a.m. for a delicious breakfast buffet and a unique keeper chat all about rhinos. Members: $16.95 (adult), $12.95 (child); Non-Members: $21.95 (adult), $16.95 (child). Seating is limited. Reservations required by the Friday at 2 p.m. For more information or to make reservations, contact (501) 661-7218.
- April 6: Kidsfest Superhero 5K & 1K. Starts at the Faulkner County Courthouse (801 Locust St., Conway) at 8 a.m. Capes and tights are optional! Registration is $20-$35. The event also features free children’s activities, like a bounce house, face painting, arts and crafts, games, children’s music festival and more at Simon Park. Details here.
- April 6: Certified Arkansas Farmers Market Opens. 6th and Main Street in North Little Rock, 7 a.m. to noon. Details here.
- April 7: 52nd Young Arkansas Artists Awards Reception and Family Festival. This Family Festival, where kids can hunt for stories, create action art, make murals and celebrate those young artists who have won awards for their participation in the 52nd Young Arkansas Artists exhibition. Noon to 3 p.m. at the Arkansas Arts Center. Free to members, Young Arkansas Artists and their families. Tickets are $20 per family for non-members. Artist awards will be held in the Children’s Theatre at 2:30 p.m. Details here.
- March 30: Burns Park’s annual Easter Egg Hunt is at Pavilion 10. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. (everyone must register), and the fun begins at 9 a.m. for special-needs children; 9:30 a.m. for ages 1-3; 10 a.m. for ages 4-6; and, 10:30 a.m. for ages 7-9.
- March 30: ThatChurch.com is hosting two free community Easter Egg Drops, where more than 25,000 candy filled eggs will be dropped out of a helicopter! There will be sections for kids up to fifth grade, including a section for children with special needs. The events are at Sylvan Hills High School Football Stadium in Sherwood at 11 a.m. (gates open at 10 a.m.) and Cabot High School Football Stadium at noon (gates open at 11 a.m.).
- March 30 & 31: Eat breakfast or lunch with the Easter Bunny at the Little Rock Zoo. The event also includes meeting animal friends, decorating Easter cookies, making an egg basket and taking photos with the Easter Bunny. Saturday at 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., and Sunday at 1 p.m. Members: $16.95 for kids, $21.95 for adults. Nonmembers: $18.95 for kids, $25.95 for adults. Call (501) 661-7218 for reservations. Details here.
Who doesn’t love elephants? They’re majestic, smart, and beautiful, populating adult and childhood imaginations alike. If you’re free tomorrow morning you don’t want to miss this great opportunity! Continue reading
Plenty to do this weekend! Continue reading