Volunteering and organizing against hunger is important all year around, including Thanksgiving. Here’s a short list of ways to help in the central Arkansas area.
If you know of other places we should list, please let us know! We would love to include as much information as possible!
- Donate to a local food bank. To find a bank closest to you, visit FeedingAmerica.org by clicking here.
- Visit Arkansas Foodbank.org to find a list of local food banks in your area or to donate online. Go here to learn about direct service opportunities for the winter holidays and beyond.
- Union Rescue Mission, Tuesday, November 20, 9:00 a.m. to noon: Feeding the Multitude Box Distribution
The annual Box Distribution will take place this year at Agape Church in West Little Rock from 9:00 a.m. to noon. Volunteers must arrive by 8:30 a.m. Over 600 food boxes of food will be distributed during this time. To learn more visit the Union Rescue Mission site here and fill out the volunteer application.
- Union Rescue Mission, Great Thanksgiving Day Banquet
Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 22
There are two different volunteer opportunities for this event. They include:Transient Lodge from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.Volunteers must arrive at the Mission at 3000 Confederate Blvd. by10:00 a.m. Volunteers will help prepare for the Thanksgiving meal and stay afterward to help clean up. For more information, please contact Michelle Scroggins at 501-370-0808.Dorcas House from 11:00 a.m. until noon. Volunteers will arrive by 10:30 a.m. and assist with food preparation, serve, and clean up. If you are male and would like to volunteer for this event at the Dorcas House, then you must be accompanied by your spouse, fiancé, or girlfriend to do so. For more information, please contact Michelle Scroggins at 501-370-0808.
- Other homeless shelters throughout the area continually need volunteers, especially this time of year. Visit this complete list of homeless shelters in and around the city to learn more.
Let us know about other opportunities below!